Saturday, April 23, 2011

Some Thoughts on French Cuisine

Andrew Marcaccio, Joe Presentato, Andrew Moomey, Pritha Ray, and Chris Menz enjoy some croque monsieurs in a Paris cafe.


This is my first time visiting France and I feel the need to comment on the cuisine. I should say upfront that I generally dislike all stereotypes because they are often untrue…. But not in the case of French food! I can honestly say that I never have eaten more bread and cheese in the past week than in my entire life!

So far our diet has featured the following staples:

• French baquettes- at each and every meal
• Jambon et fromage (ham and cheese) everywhere in every possible configuration
• Crepes... they are a staple as a whole meal or as a dessert. In fact, it seems as if half of the restaurants in both Paris and Chateaulin are “creperies.” As a meal crepes are stuffed with ham and cheese, egg, or chicken. As a dessert they are stuffed with various fruits, jam, chocolate, Nutella (yum), or just topped with butter and sugar.
• Paté is very big, particularly in Brittany. Somehow salmon paté with little pickles on top doesn’t really cut it as a salad for me…
• A bottle of water is always on the table for all. For the adults, wine is always offered.

My best meal was prepared by my host, Olivier, the director of the exchange school: roasted duck! Tres bien!

I’m sure we would all agree that our very generous French hosts have served us wholesome, hearty meals. No one has gone hungry here!

And one more thing: French people really do say “Bon appetite!” before starting a meal! : )

If you like fresh bread and pastries, you'd be in luck in France... with a Boulangerie/Patisserie like this one in Chateaulin seemingly on every corner...

"Get thee to a creperie!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment